(Fwd) Re: Information wanted about the Pageos satelite.

Leo J.C. Barhorst (l.j.c.barhorst@amersfoort.bouwinfra.nl)
Thu, 4 Jun 1998 09:53:55 +0000

Got this reply from Gary, who asked to forwarded it

------- Doorgestuurd Bericht Volgt -------
From:          GPeter3414@aol.com
Date:          Wed, 3 Jun 1998 23:04:20 EDT
To:            Chris.Peat@dlr.de
Cc:            jhunt@radix.net, l.j.c.barhorst@amersfoort.bouwinfra.nl,
Subject:       Re: Information wanted about the Pageos satelite.

Thank for forwarding you replies.  I was already to get a lot of imformation
from two other people.  They told me that it indeed did break up a lot.  As
each peice broke off they gave them new catalogue numbers.  The one that
stayed closest to the orginal orbit continue to be called the A piece with the
same original number.  This piece is now very small and of magnitude.  The B,
C, and D peices are the rocket and two canisters just as they were always
called.  The remaining pieces were called the E, F, and so on.  After Z came
AA, AB to AZ, then BA to BZ and finally CA to CK.  The five digit number for
the A throug D pieces are the original numbers.  As new peices were catalogue
the five digit number is what happedn to be the number as they were being
catalogued.  The first catalogue after the July 12, 1975 breakup actually
occured on August 9.  The catalogued after the January 20, 1976 breakup
occured in September.  The AH piece which was even smaller ended up in a
slightly orbit or did not decay as fast.  All the rest of the pieces went into
lower orbits and have all re-entered.  The first re-entry orruced in 18 months
with the most recent one in October 1996.  The bigest pieces was the G piece
but it re-entered in 1989.  After the first breakup I am not sure if the A
peices was still the largest and then suffered further breakups which made it
smaller or if the G peices was always the largest.  It was catalogued in
August 1975.  I am not sure what peices I was actually watching for the 26
months after breakup.  I believe that it eventually became flat as was not
visible as often.  It could only be seen rarely when it flared into view just
like the iridium satelites of today.  This is proably what finall ended my
observations.  If fact there were two occaision when either the G peices or
the piece became nealy as bright as first magnitude.  The first time was
November 1, 1976 shortly after sunset and again on August 29, 1977 shortly
after sunset from Wolf Point, Montana.  In both instances Pageos was in the
eastern sky which made for a large phase angle.  However the end of the road
for evening observvations was only 15 days later.  There were three additional
morning observations but I am not sure what I was watching perhaps another
fragment.  Perhaps you can forward my information to other people.


Gary Peterson